Fire Inspectors (R83.1.2)
THE VILLAGE BOARD OF THE VILLAGE OF PARK RIDGE ORDAINS AS FOLLOWS:
Section I. FIRE INSPECTOR DUTIES
1. The chief of the fire department shall hold the office of fire inspector, with power to appoint one or more deputy fire inspectors, who shall perform the same duties and have the same powers as the fire inspector.
2. It shall be the duty of fire inspectors to inspect semi-annually all buildings, premises and public thoroughfares within the Village limits for the purpose of noting and causing to be corrected any condition liable to cause fire. Repairs or alterations necessary to remove the hazardous condition shall be made within a reasonable time at the expense of the owner. The inspector shall also investigate the storage and handling of explosives and flammable liquids within the village.
3. The chief shall keep a written record card of each property inspected which shall conform to the requirements of the Department of Industry Labor and Human Relations, and shall make the quarterly report of inspections required by the Department of Industry Labor and Human Relations.
4. Whenever or wherever in the Village of Park Ridge any inspection by the fire chief or his deputies reveals a fire hazard, the chief or his deputies are hereby invested with authority to serve a notice in writing, upon the owner of the property giving said owner a reasonable time in which to remove the hazard. In the event that the fire hazard is not removed within the time allowed, it shall be deemed a nuisance and the fire chief or his deputy is authorized to have the same removed by the Village, and the cost of such removal shall be recovered in an action by the Village against the owner of the property.
5. No person shall deny the chief or his deputies free access to any commercial property within the Village at any reasonable time for the purpose of making fire inspections. No person shall hinder or obstruct-the fire inspector in the performance of his duty, or refuse to observe any lawful direction given by him.
II. EFFECTIVE DATE
This ordinance shall take effect upon passage and publication as provided by law.
Passed and adopted by the Village Board of the Village of Park Ridge on this first day of January, 1996.